Wednesday 7 November 2018
You are advised that a Special Meeting of Council has been called by Crs Kirkham, Desiato and Monteleone on Wednesday, 7 November 2018 in Council Chamber, 25 Ferres Boulevard, South Morang at 6:00pm for the transaction of the following business.
CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER
LAWRIE COX MAYOR, SOUTH WEST WARD
STEVAN KOZMEVSKI SOUTH WEST WARD
CAZ MONTELEONE SOUTH WEST WARD
KRIS PAVLIDIS SOUTH WEST WARD
TOM JOSEPH DEPUTY MAYOR, NORTH WARD
RICKY KIRKHAM NORTH WARD
EMILIA LISA STERJOVA NORTH WARD
SAM ALESSI SOUTH EAST WARD
ALAHNA DESIATO SOUTH EAST WARD
NORM KELLY SOUTH EAST WARD
MARY LALIOS SOUTH EAST WARD
SIMON OVERLAND CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER
RUSSELL HOPKINS DIRECTOR COMMUNITY SERVICES
NICK MANN DIRECTOR CITY TRANSPORT & PRESENTATION
HELEN SUI DIRECTOR CORPORATE SERVICES
LIANA THOMPSON DIRECTOR PARTNERSHIPS, PLANNING & ENGAGEMENT
MICHAEL TONTA MANAGER GOVERNANCE
ORDER OF BUSINESS
The Chief Executive Officer submits the following business:
1.2 Acknowledgment of Traditional Owners Statement
Author: Crs Ricky Kirkham, Alahna Desiato, Caz Monteleone
Councillors Kirkham, Desiato and Monteleone have given notice under section 84(1) of the Local Government Act 1989 that a Special Meeting of Council has been called for 6.00pm on Wednesday 7 November 2018 to consider an item of business relating to a Leave of Absence Request for Cr Mary Lalios.
In accordance with section 89(4A) Council must provide at least 7 days notice unless the matter is urgent or extraordinary circumstances. The Councillors calling this Special Council Meeting advise that the matter is urgent for the following reasons:
1. Allow Council the ability to consider information provided by Cr Lalios prior to the 13 November 2018 Ordinary Meeting, at which Cr Lalios would be disqualified if leave is not granted.
2. Given the complex legal issues surrounding this issue, a meeting would allow a buffer in order for Cr Lalios to meet any further requests from Council.
3. Council may refuse leave at the Special Meeting, of which it is then up to Cr Lalios to consider her position.
4. Allowing more time to consider information provided, will provide an opportunity for sound judgement and decision making by Councillors.
5. There is no other option in order to satisfy these concerns or issues prior to the 13 November deadline.
In accordance with the Local Government Act 1989, the following motion is submitted to consider a leave of absence request by Cr Mary Lalios.
Councillors are to refer to advice from Russell Kennedy Lawyers in consideration of this motion.
THAT Council resolve to :
1. Note the medical certificate provided by Cr Mary Lalios; and
2. Grant a leave of absence for Cr Mary Lalios for the period detailed by her suitably qualified medical practitioner.
Note that the medical certificate referred to in the above motions will be circulated ASAP well in advance of the meeting.